THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New Gods Versus Solar


SPOILERS for DC's "COUNTDOWN SERIES"!!


All I really know about Jim Starlin as a writer is based on his work for "Solar: Man Of The Atom". I'm still collecting back issues of the early 90's comic book series that he started, and even though he was off the book after about 10 issues, what he started there has kept me interested through the first 20 issues.

I can't say the same of his work on "Death Of The New Gods".

Here I thought the major change in status quo regarding these classic characters would be told in the pages of this mini-series. But in "Countdown #2" we witness the death of Darkseid! I've been collecting this (let's face it) BORING mini from issue one and the best conceivable moment the series could have had happens in another book!!!???

I'm two pages into the final issue and I don't care how good it is; next week I'm taking the whole miniseries to my used bookstore to get some trade credit. I've already dropped "The Flash", DC. And you've wounded me again. Don't plan on your next crossover spinoff making money from me.

(yes, I did say "spinoff" because of COURSE I'm still going to buy the Final Crisis crossover. I'm a DC geek after all.)

No comments: