THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Nocturnal Thoughts

In a effort to scratch the console RPG itch, I've decided to give Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne a try. Pretty long title, huh? I haven't tried this one before because I was not impressed with Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga, and this one seemed similar.

Despite my reservations, I've been enjoying the game for the most part. It's dark and serious, with a touch of the right kind of humor.

The only problem I'm having is with the load times. I suspect it may be my PS2, but it could also be scratches on the disc. I've readjusted the laser lense on my PS2, but without much improvement. I know the game can load faster than it has been for me, because I've seen footage on YouTube that proves it. So as my 7-day no hassle return policy ticks away, I have to figure out if the slower load times are hampering the experience enough for me to take it back for a refund.

So far, the good qualities of the game are outweighing this factor, so it's likely I'll keep the game. Or maybe I'm just desperate for a good old fashioned turn-based battle system RPG.

No comments: