THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Legend Of The Seeker (Hope For This Show?)



As I’ve mentioned here before, I’m a HUGE fan of Terry Goodkind’s "Sword Of Truth" series. And to other fans of the books it should come as no surprise that I think the show is a step down in storytelling. They’ve done more than adapt "Wizard’s First Rule" for television. They’ve cut huge chunks out of the original story and replaced them with empty, self-contained episodes that add little or nothing to the main plot.


As of last night, I’m hoping that trend has begun to change. The chapters I was most curious to see on television were featured in this weekend’s episode and I was fairly pleased. I knew they wouldn’t be able to include the graphic brutality and implied sadism of the book’s torture sequence. But they covered the characters fairly well. Richard had more backbone than we’ve seen so far on the show. (Hopefully he’ll continue in this trend and quickly get out of his naïve, inept, "wide-eyed" phase.) The character of Denna was performed well, if not exceptionally so. Much of the mental storytelling couldn’t be translated to the screen, but I was very pleased at the effort they made in that regard and the results were pretty good!


I missed the lingering respect and bizarre "love" that Richard maintains for Denna in the books after her death. But her story may not be done anyway. It’s been awhile since I last read "Wizard’s First Rule", but I don’t remember Denna coming back to life after Richard kills her. So I’ll be interested to see where they are going with this. Will she take the place of another Mord Sith that was supposed to interact with Richard and remain in the story for the rest of the seasons? I’m not sure what’s going on. I’ve mostly given up on hoping they will follow the books with this series. At this point, I’m only hoping they can make a good story out of what they’re doing.

1 comment:

Alan said...

I too was disappointed that Richard did not (I'll avoid a spoiler from the book) perform a particular act of respect for Denna after her death, but I am hopeful that we have not seen the end of her, and so there is a chance for that to occur.

I have resigned myself to be satisfied if at least every other episode is aligned to the book. I do worry that they have strayed very far from the source material in a few key aspects, which will make it even harder to stick close to specific future plot lines.

-- Alan