THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Babylon 3 out of 5



That's what I give the show so far. I've been told the show gets off to a rocky start and really improves in the second season. I'm getting over my distaste for the poor visual effects, but I just can't stand commander Sinclaire. My understanding is that after this season he is replaced by Bruce Boxleitner (I'm sure I spelled that wrong. But it's the guy that played Tron.). That will be such a welcome change as I don't believe a single word coming out of this man's mouth. His default expression seems to be "heroic half-smile" and I can't think of a single thing about his character that interests me.

I've only seen the pilot and first episode so far, but I think I'll probably be fast-forwarding through a few scenes throughout the first season. We'll see...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Admittedly, the first season wasn't that great. The show really hit its stride in it's second and third seasons, though the first season is still important because it plants a lot of seeds of what will happen later. Get through it, it will get better.

Alan said...

Yes, we know you have a bias against CGI, but try to not let that get in the way of the story-telling.

And there a few horrific episodes coming up this first season be forewarned, but at least commit to two full years. -- Alan

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think I'll be fine with the effects. Especially once I'm done watching Battlestar once a week. And story always wins out. I'm a big fan of Equilibrium, and that movie has some pretty obvious CGI in it. So if B5 tells some good stories and gets rid of Sinclair, I think I'm willing to stick it out for awhile.