THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Final Fantasy 12 Better The Second Time?













As I wait for my 360 to return, I've tapped into some of the games I most enjoyed on my PS2. One that caught my attention (since the next installment will be released in early March) was Final Fantasy 12.

When I played this game the first time, the combat system took some real getting used to, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. (Still used cheats for infinite "license points" late in the game. One too many things to think about.) Since then, I've been introduced to Bioware games like Neverwinter Nights, "KOTOR" and Dragon Age: Origins, all of which use a similar hybrid between turned-based combat and "action-rpg" combat. So now that I've returned to play this game again, it's been smooth gaming from the very beginning.

I'm also not a big fan of politics in my fantasy stories. I can never remember the difference between a duke and a lord or a prime minister and a chancellor. And politically driven fantasy stories tend to enjoy giving every character a title, in addition to their name. Waaay too much for my tiny brain to keep track of. But this time around, since I'm not adjusting to the combat system, I've been able to keep track of the story a little better. I'm only a few hours in, but the plot seems much easier to follow than it did the first time. Woohoo! Maybe I won't dread cut-scenes this time through!

I rarely play RPGs through a second time in less than 8-10 years. So I've been amazed at how excited I've been lately to finish my work day or "to do" list so that I can play Final Fantasy 12! Speaking of which...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Final Fantasy 12 is an awesome game. I played it through about a year ago, racking up over 100 hours on it and I still never got all the bounties, summons, or secrets. A few months ago, I purchased a used copy of the game so I could keep it in my PS2 library, and I think I'll be picking it up again after I finish FF9.

Silver Lake Art said...

I've been wanting to try Skies of Arcadia again - this was a fantastic RPG back on the Dreamcast, and has since been updated for the Gamecube (backwards compatible through the Wii). Nothing compares to the airship battles, as well as floating worlds. I don't know if this has aged very well, as I haven't seen it in action since I played it back in 2001.

Anonymous said...

Cool! Never even heard of that game! Is it connected to Final Fantasy Tactics? Now I'll have to go check it out! Thanks,

Paeter

Anonymous said...

Is this your first time playing 9, David? 9 is my all-time favorite in the franchise!