THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dragon Age DLC












In preparation for the release of the Dragon Age: Origins expansion coming out next week, I decided to go ahead and buy the two pieces of downloadable content I don't have yet. Warden's Keep and Return To Ostagar.

I played through Warden's Keep last night and had a great time with it! Comparing it hour for hour to the amount of gameplay you get with the basic game, it was probably overpriced. But comparing the amount of entertainment I got from it versus most other things I spend money on (chiefly comics and movies) it was easily worth it.

I had noticed that some folks have complained that the quest is too easy for characters that have already finished the main game, but I compensated for this by bumping up the difficulty level I was playing the game on by one. The expansion must have been auto-scaling fairly well, because I found some weapons and armor that would have been worthless to me at earlier levels and I even had to drop the difficulty back down again a couple times to avoid losing my entire supply of health potions!

The sour note in all of this is that when I downloaded my DLC the game forced me to apply an update to the game. Once I did this, my old DLC became unusable whenever I'm disconnected from the internet. I got around this before when it only effected one in-game item, but with The Stone Prisoner DLC effected by this bug, I can't load any of my old saves offline.

Although EA and Bioware have offered zero solutions for this problem, I found a solution on an EA forum developed by a Bioware forum user to fix the problem. The solution worked for all of my DLC... except The Stone Prisoner.

So for now I am stuck upstairs in my office, which is no tragedy. But if I want to treat myself now and then to playing the game on a bigger HD TV with a much better sound system, I'll either have to wait for a fix to be discovered or purchase a wifi adapter ($50-$100) for my 360. Blech.

No comments: