THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Oblivion" Better On The Second Try!














As I mentioned Monday, I dropped "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" on my first try after a few hours of playing. Too much walking, too much to do. That was about two years ago.

But on this, my second try, I'm having a much different (and better!) experience. After resolving to only do the things I want to do, and teleport as much as possible, the world became much "smaller" and more manageable. I know there is still a continent of content out there to explore, but I'm teaching myself not to feel obligated to explore EVERYTHING, and the result is a faster paced and highly addictive gaming experience.

I've also adjusted to the first-person perspective, which I've never enjoyed in RPGs. I still wouldn't say it's my view of choice, but it's working fine for me now and is much better than the third person option the game gives. (It's pretty obvious the game is not meant to be played that way.)

Looting is incredibly fun, the graphics are great (the Planes of Oblivion are captivating and twisted) and throwing fireballs at bad guys is a blast.

My only significant complaint is the people. Not the monsters and bad guys in combat. The people you talk to in towns, etc. Compared to Mass Effect (1 and 2) and Dragon Age: Origins, the NPCs in this game move and act like creepy animated mannequins. Everyone walks like they're dancing "the robot" to the music in their heads and I don't think I've seen an eyebrow move yet during conversation. A little odd when the voice acting is pretty solid and passionate at times.

The theology of the world is polytheistic and there are certainly mixed views of the gods among NPCs. So far the game hasn't given me much opportunity to express my own views. (Bioware games excel at this, though haven't perfected it yet.) But the world is still interesting and interactive enough for now.

Not quite deserving of the massive amounts of praise reviewers give this game, but still an extremely enjoyable experience. I can't wait to see what the next Elder Scrolls game is like!

2 comments:

Nathan James Norman said...

I bought this game and then gave up on it for the same reasons you've mentioned. I don't know if I can go back, though.

I just like my old-school linear games I suppose!

Anonymous said...

It definitely takes some adjustment. There actually is a very linear game here, and the built-in quest notes hold your hand and always tell you what you need to do next to advance the main story.

But the adjustment comes in realizing that if you want to experience the COMPLETE game, you'll have to spend dozens of hours (some claim hundreds) off the main path. And that may be a bit much for me. We'll see!