THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Descent 2nd Edition!


















Over the weekend I went to the Fantasy Flight Games website since I hadn't been there in awhile. And what should I discover but the news that a second edition of my favorite board game, "Descent: Journeys In The Dark", is being released in early 2012!

At first, the news was frustrating, as I've pumped so much money into this game over the years and new editions often seem to be more about milking customers than making a significantly improved product.

But as I looked into the details some more, my hope began to be restored. The rules will reportedly be streamlined for faster play and less player downtime. ("Is it still your turn? Okay, I'm gonna go get some more pepsi and maybe put a pizza in the oven.") It's also designed to have many more easy stopping and starting points, allowing for shorter game sessions when time demands. I haven't done a comparison yet of what you get in the box compared to the first edition, but I know that the map tiles are double sided and rules for campaign play are already included. Very good news! Sounds like they're aiming to give us the most bang possible for our buck!

The only news I'm not as excited about is the "conversion kit" to allow you to adapt all of your old Descent stuff to the new rules system. I like having that ability, but having to buy it separate for 25 bucks is a little lame. That brings the total cost of this "upgrade" to over $100. Yikes.

Hopefully they will put the rulebooks online before the release like they usually do so I can really see what I'm buying. Getting more details will make a big difference in convincing me to put down the money for this.

No comments: