THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Two Worlds 2 (First Impressions)
















Recently I posted about "Two Worlds", a seriously flawed yet underrated RPG on the Xbox 360. Just a few days Linkago I finished that game (which I can still say I really enjoyed!) and immediately started playing the sequel, Two Worlds 2. I'm currently just over five hours in. (Though I'm not writing this as a "First Five Review".)

The story picks up after the events of the first game, but omitting some key details that connect the two games. This may be because there are two very different endings to the first game. But while the beginning of this game could potentially work with either ending from the first game, it also doesn't quite work smoothly with either. A bit odd, but I didn't play the first one for the story. I should mention, though, that the dialogue is MUCH better, without the forced Olde English. (No more "mayhap" or "methinks")

The two main things I noticed immediately were the improved visual and audio presentation and the significantly different interface.

The combat system is still largely the same, but with a few re-assigned buttons. The unusual "dodge" mechanic has been removed in favor of blocking, which I think I like better.

There's a great new stealth/assassination mechanic that is a LOT of fun to use, and you don't have to pump XP into it. So I get to build my guy as a brawler, but enjoy a cool "thief" ability for free!

I miss the ability to quickly and easily "stack" items of the same kind to upgrade them. Looting is also handled automatically, assuming you want to pick up everything a vanquished enemy has. This results in more trips to town than I'd like (or having to periodically open my inventory just to drop things), but hasn't bothered me otherwise.

The horse controls have been completely re-invented... and I don't ride horses any more. The controls are TERRIBLE! It's easier to ride a REAL horse! (And I've only done that twice in my life!) To keep your horse moving you have to constantly, repeatedly, press the left trigger, as though your constant "kicking" is the only thing that keeps this dumb animal moving. The rest of the horse controls are just as clunky. It's such a mess that I opted to just pump as much into my endurance as possible so that I can simply run from place to place when not using teleporters.

There may be an option to turn the voice acting off, but I haven't felt the need to look for it, since the voice acting is much improved. Nothing compared to a Bioware game, but much improved. (They actually used actors this time.) The storytelling also uses more cut-scenes with cool, cinematic camera movement and...have I mentioned the graphics are much better?

All in all, a stronger game than the first, with new bugs/flaws to get used to, but that aren't requiring as much patience on my part this time. Still worth every penny (I paid 22 bucks) until Elder Scrolls 5 or, if we're lucky, Deus Ex!

No comments: