THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, February 27, 2009

Rambo: First Blood and My First Time!



Believe it or not, I watched "First Blood" for the first time last night. I had never seen any of the Rambo movies, but with Stallone's return to the franchise a little while ago, I thought I ought to get around to it and see what all the fuss is about.

It was pretty good! I can see why it was appealing. John Rambo is a haunted and hunted character, but more than capable of taking the opposition out, as his superior military officer seems specifically planted to remind us every 5 to 10 minutes of the movie.

I'm guessing the movies will go downhill after this film, in terms of character development. Not that there was much to this film. Yet Rambo was a sympathetic hero that I felt sorry for, even as I waited to see how badly he would take out the next idiots to try and kill him.

The alternate ending to the film was very compelling, and I wish they would have used it instead, though it would have made sequels impossible. When his commanding officer refuses to kill him, John grabs control of the gun and forces it to go off into his chest, ending his tragic and continuous mental anguish.

Not one I would ever purchase, but I think I'll probably rent the next one!

No comments: