THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, May 11, 2009

Neverwinter Vault Favorites


Since I've mentioned this game and its insane replay value a few times, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite modules available, either for free, or for affordable purchase from bioware. I've included basic overall ratings out of 5 stars. "*"
****Harper's Tale- Multi-part. Good place to start/build new characters. Very enjoyable series requiring some cheating now and then, as provided in the game's debug menu.
****Caereena- Krakona Rising- Lengthy adventure. Epic Levels! Tons of action! Downside is lengthy, overly detailed conversations between periods of action. Ends unresolved with an obvious intention for a sequel (which is being developed).
****Pool Of Radiance- Port of classic PC DnD game. Not cinematic. No central story. Just quest after quest. Lot's of walking, back and forth to and from quests. Recommend buying one or two "magic bags" to reduce trips. This can also be countered pretty well with the "mylittlepony" code to speed up travel. There are two annoying mazes that take a little time to get through. (about 30 minutes each of just straight walking for me.) When the game is over, you are notified by a note in the final boss's remains, but are then left to freely explore the game world. I may return and do some of this later, as there are territories outside town I haven't covered yet, including a lizardman settlement side-quest that I never finished.
***Pirates of the sword coast- Pretty enjoyable. (Purchased from bioware.)
*****Darkness Over Daggerford- Great, long module, originally made to be sold by BioWare and it shows! Available for FREE at the Neverwinter Vault!
Currently, I'm giving "Infinite Dungeons" (sold by bioware) another try, now that I've figured out how the map system works. (Before I was getting lost a lot and running in circles!) There's virtually no plot to speak of, but if you like endless hack n' slash, you might really get a kick out of this one.

No comments: