THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

No Budget For Mediocrity


I can't believe I'm actually dropping JSA. After Geoff Johns departed, I was ready for a little different take. Not wanting it, especially, but content to tolerate a change, especially since Johns' run was losing a little of its life near the end.
But the "Fables" writing team of Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges has turned out to be mediocre at best on this book, and I just don't have money in my budget for mediocre. While not especially bad, their characterizations of JSA members have been simplistic and forced. In some small ways, it feels like I'm reading dialogue written for comics in the 60's. Way too much exposition and not near enough character for a book like this one.
It's been announced that Willingham and Sturges will split and each write their own JSA books soon. I'll take a look then and see if one of them can float above water. But for now I'm keeping my cash.

No comments: