THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Strategy Guides: A Longer But Tedious Experience?













Last night I just finished playing "Dragon Age Origins: Awakening" and clocked out with a total game time of about 22 hours. I was hoping for an experience that was closer to the length of the original game (which was also a teeny bit short) but no such luck.

Overall, it was an extremely satisfying experience and I'm positive I'll be playing through the original game and the expansion again with a different character. (A mage this time!) Still, I wonder if I might have missed some opportunities for side-quests.

I used to buy strategy guides (or use free ones online) for every RPG I played. I love these kinds of games so much that I don't want to miss a second of potential play time! But in the last few years, my interest in strategy guides has rapidly faded. These days I'd rather risk missing something if it means I don't have to sit and "read, then play, then read, then play". For the most part, it's been very satisfying. And I've become a thorough enough player that I am confident I'm not missing much, if anything, in the games I play now.

But then along comes a game like "Dragon Age" that I just can't get enough of, and when the experience is over I'm left with the nagging doubt over whether I should have used a strategy guide or not.

I think I might use one the next time I play through. But for now, it's on to "Mass Effect"(I'm FINALLY getting around to playing the first one!) and then "Final Fantasy 13"!

2 comments:

Jeroth said...

My second character was also a mage in Dragon Age. I cannot speak highly enough about area of effect spells. However, I got 70 hours out of Origins from one playthrough (that was with the Shale content included, but still, that was about five hours of content, ten on the extreme outside). Mass Effect, both 1 and 2, was about 35-40. If you are at all interested in a walkthrough, this site (http://dragonage.wikia.com) was a great help. Great stories but honestly, I prefer DA because of the character interactions. As far as Final Fantasy 13 goes, I have heard a lot (mostly bad) about it but I think this comic (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/4/14) summarizes the problem fairly well.

Anonymous said...

I'm diggin' on Mass Effect so far! But when I'm through I'm planning to tackle ff13. I'm actually in the mood for an epically long rpg. The biggest criticism I've heard is that it's very linear, which I'm not sure how I feel about yet. We'll see!

-Paeter