THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The First Final Fantasy Game I Won't Finish













I can't believe it actually came to this, but I made the decision to sell Final Fantasy 13. I have NEVER given up on a Final Fantasy game without playing it all the way through. I'm amazed at my own decision. Despite being on the third disc (out of three), I was still uninterested in the plot, didn't like the voice acting and felt extremely boxed in with nearly every aspect of game-play. I just hit one boss too many that required me to use one very specific strategy to beat. I just couldn't stand the thought of either trying six or seven ways to win one fight or looking up a solution online one more time.

I still maintain that the game has some excellent qualities. And well more than half of the time the combat is a ton of fun. But way too many times the momentum fell out from under me as I encountered some strange bad guy that I had to pretty much guess randomly how to beat.

In talking to my wife about it, I compared it to dancing with a beautiful woman (which I said would be her, of course) but repeatedly stubbing your toe through the entire song. But unlike the woman in this metaphor, Final Fantasy 13's beauty was not enough for me to want to finish the dance. (My toe just couldn't take any more!)

Thankfully, Gamestop was having a trade-in bonus and I got six bucks more in trade credit than I normally would have.

So now I'm on the hunt for a new game to play. I've tried Overlord (very cool, but some challenging strategy aspects I'm not currently in the mood for), Eternal Sonata (way too pretty and light-hearted) and today I plan to try out Fable 2 again (the first time I gave up on it because I didn't like the glowing trail always telling me where to go. After FF13, it seems like a pretty minor complaint).

Mass Effect 2 is undoubtedly on my list. But first I wanted to see what games I could get using just the trade credit I got from FF13. It IS "The Summer Of Free" after all.

No comments: