THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Scratching My "Turn-Based" Itch














After my disappointing "Final Fantasy 13" experience, I launched myself on a quest to find a new RPG to play. I had $22 in Gamestop trade credit and $8 of credit at another used entertainment store. So "The Summer Of Free" was still in effect throughout my search.

I tried "Eternal Sonata" and "Fable 2". The first was too cute. The second was much more fun. But something was missing that it took me a few days to put my finger on. Turn-based combat.

I know, I know. I'm a relic from the past by invoking such a concept. But the RPG video game industry was built on turn-based game mechanics. And contrary to popular belief, turn-based mechanics do not equal slow and boring game-play. Dragon Quest 8 and Lost Odyssey both use turn-based combat, but the menu navigation and combat animation are fast and propel the action forward. (Too bad Lost Odyssey has so many other elements dragging it down.) The Shadow Hearts games are turn-based but incorporate a minor hand-eye coordination element into the execution of commands that keeps game-play involving without being frustrating.

I love having the opportunity to carefully consider my next move, juggle resources and character abilities and weigh the risks and all of my options. But most rpg games these days have turned to an action-rpg format, or have simplified their mechanics to make way for a forced "real-time" combat system. (FF13. Aarrgh!)

After Final Fantasy 13 yanked me so hard in the wrong direction on this front, I found that what I was really itching for was a turn-based RPG experience. So for 8 bucks of trade credit, I brought home "The Lord Of The Rings: The Third Age". Made for the xbox (and PS2) but playable on my 360(with just a few graphical glitches).

I used to own this game for my PS2 but quit halfway through for lack of interest. At the time, there were other turn-based rpgs I could play (like the AMAZING "Shadow Hearts" series on PS2!) and I knew the movies too well to enjoy the cut scenes in this game(which are just re-cut film footage from the trilogy with Ian McKellan narrating).

This time through I'm finding the game-play extremely addictive and satisfying and I'm just skipping all of the cut-scenes. (There are still "in engine" cut-scenes that advance the story of your characters, and that's all you really need to follow.) Leveling up my stats is a bit tedious without an "auto-level up" option, but otherwise this game is great fun!

I've also stumbled across another website with even MORE nostalgic turn-based RPGs for free and what I've played so far looks really good! But more on that this Wednesday.

No comments: