THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Books I'm Diggin'!













I'm in a rare state regarding my fiction reading. I have two authors that I'm really enjoying. At least the first books from each of their series.


"Dhampire", by Barb and J.C. Hendee

Barb and J.C. Hendee have pulled me into their "Noble Dead" series with the first book, Dhampir. I've never been a reader of "vampire fiction", and I'm guessing this isn't a standard sampling of the genre. It's more like a dark fantasy story that just happens to feature more undead things than elves. (Although there is at least one elf so far!)

What's working for my tastes is the pacing, which keeps the story moving forward without bogging down in description, and the transparency of the characters minds and motives. In order for me to really connect with a book, I need the author to constantly let me inside the minds of their characters, so I can go on the journey vicariously through them.

This story features a scam artist posing as a monster hunter, who wants to give up the game and settle down. But things get interesting when she starts to learn that maybe the scam she's been running is real after all, and she has abilities she has never tapped into that she must now access to survive. It's a story about giving up on your dreams for the sake of doing good. It has plenty of visceral, gory action and was a compelling, morally complex and unpredictable ride to the resolution. Can't wait to read more in this series!

But for now I will because even more I'm enjoying...

"Myrren's Gift", by Fiona McIntosh

Although this story has a little less action than "Dhampir", the action is still really good and visceral. No shortage of pain and blood. In fact, pain seems to be constantly present in the life of the main character, Wyl. He hates and is hated and abused by the man he has sworn to serve and protect with his life. He lives each day in emotional turmoil and watches those he loves most suffer in unthinkable ways. This book pulls no punches and really has me fired up to see some justice!

Magic is more sparing, but all the more mysterious and powerful. These characters are put through the wringer and find themselves doing some almost unthinkable things to survive and set things right. I'm only halfway through this book, but I'm on the search for a good price on the second book of the trilogy. I don't think I could wait to start reading it once I reach the last page of this one!

No comments: