THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting For My Book!















The last time I talked about "Myrren's Gift", by Fiona McIntosh, I said was enjoying it. But that was even BEFORE the big twist that came at about 1/3rd of the way through the book! The timing of it was so unusual, considering that something that game-changing usually happens closer to the beginning to set the status quo or in the climax at the end. The result has been a read that is not only captivating, but unpredictable as well!

Unfortunately, I waited a little too long (the halfway point) before beginning my search for the second book in this trilogy. I wanted to get it used, which limited my options, and the soonest the book will get to me (from where I ordered it online) will be Thursday. And my schedule has made it extremely difficult to make use of the library. (Very little time and long lines for assistance to renew my card. Tough with two boys in tow.)

So I am now instituting a new personal policy of buying the follow up book to a new author I'm enjoying after reading 1/3rd of the book, and thereafter staying a book ahead in my purchasing so there is no chance of being left hanging in a series. (I hate that.)

That gives me less time to figure out on a first book if I'm really going to like a new author, but this is the second time I've been facing book withdrawal for the same reason and I'd rather take the alternative than be left hanging again.

No comments: