THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, June 8, 2007

The Authority

After a very small week of comics (I only purchased this week's issue of Countdown!) I took advantage of my extra funds to explore a couple of books I've been curious about for awhile.

The first is Warren Ellis' and Bryan Hitch's "The Authority". I managed to find the first trade paperback collecting issues 1-8 at a used bookstore. After reading it, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I've never seen a comic with heroes this powerful fighting evil in a way that is "messy". Human casualties number in the hundreds as this team of immensely powered beings tries to change the world for the better.

Similar in some ways to the deconstructionist themes of Alan Moore's "The Watchmen", this is a fascinating read with art that is so epic and cinematic you can't help but be pulled into the world these characters live in.

Although I don't see myself going back to collect all the individual back issues, I'll certainly look for more opportunities to pick up the trade paper-backs of this series.

No comments: