THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, July 13, 2007

Old things made new (JSA #7)

I think I'm going to start a "Comic Of The Week" feature in the podcast, rather than reviewing more than one. We'll see. Anyway, my comic of the week this week is a really close call, with Green Lantern #21 a near second. This week, though, I've gotta give it to Justice Society Of America #7.

Although I just talked to someone this week that hates pretty much everything Geoff Johns does as a writer for DC, I'm probably one of his biggest fans. This week's issue of JSA is a good example of why.

Johns, probably the busiest writer at DC comics, has a knack for taking old things and making them new. And not new in the way of complete change and an entirely new direction, which we saw alot of in the early and mid- 90's. Instead, he looks at the essence of DC history and makes an effort to revive the classic concepts found in it's rich legacy.

If there's one thing I love about DC, it's the rich sense of history and legacy, and nowhere is this aspect of the universe displayed better than in the pages of JSA. Whenever possible, Johns uses the old-timers like Wildcat, Jay Garrick and Alan Scott instead of replacing the original members of this team that have been around since WW2. But when he DOES replace a character with say, a new version of Hourman, or the Sandman, or in this issue Commander Steel, he tries to make a connection by bloodline or some other method that gives a clear feeling of legacy and family tradition that I don't see in other comic universes.

I know very little about the original Commander Steel, but his replacement in this issue of JSA was done with such respect and an abvious desire to make the concept cool all over again, that I can't help but be excited about getting to know this brand new character. I can't wait for next month!

No comments: