THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Highlander: The Source

This Saturday night on the sci-fi channel, a new Highlander movie will debut. Featuring Duncan Mcleod and the supporting cast of the Highlander television show, this film is said to be the first of a direct to DVD trilogy that will finally (or again?) explain the origins of all immortals.

Although I'm a little nervous about this major revelation (the mystery of the immortals is half the fun and trying something like this bombed in "Highlander 2") I'm still optimistic. The few "trailers" that I've scene pieced to together by amateurs reveal a promising visual style and production design that will take the mythos into a new realm.

Some may hope for a film truer to the feel of the television show, but since this is set "in the near future", I don't think that will be the case.

Me? I'm looking forward to a change. I loved almost all of the movies and t.v. series, but trying to revive the same feel will only result in a boring movie that we'll feel like we've seen before, and done better.

I'd rather they take a risk and try to invent something new for the next chapter in the saga of the immortals. Time will tell, however, and I'll have a review after this coming weekend!

No comments: