THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, December 3, 2007

Tin Man. So far...so-so.

Although I'll watch the rest of part one today sometime, I watched the first part of the Sci-fi miniseries "Tin Man" last night and so far... so-so.

I've got no issues with the re-imagining of the classic story. I'll be doing a similar re-imagining of the Pilgrim's Progress starting next year at Spirit Blade Productions.

My "so-so" reaction is based more on the performances offered so far. Alan Cumming, a wonderful actor, seems to miss the comedic beats laid out for him.(Maybe he's concentrating too hard on hiding that thick scottish accent, which *I* think, might have HELPED hus performance!) More of his naturally flamboyant personality would have helped him, had he brought it into the role. Zooey Deschanel, as "DG" (Dorothy Gale) is a little too subtle in her performance at times(although otherwise a great fit for the part) and in general a sense of urgency seems missing from the whole cast so far.

I'll catch a bit more while I eat lunch and then the rest after work. There's some pretty good potential here, so hopefully we'll see an improvement in the remaining portions.

No comments: