THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Book Review, Anyone?



I'm at a bit of a crossroads in terms of what fantasy book I will read next. I finished the Terry Goodkind series and went back to start reading Terry Brooks' "Magic Kingdom Of Landover" series. Halfway through the first book in that series, I realized that my tastes have changed since Junior High and the light-hearted nature of an inept wizard and a canine court scribe no longer do anything for me. I like my fantasy serious and oftentimes even dark.

I'm re-reading a Shannara book for now, but it won't be long before I'm ready for something new. I COULD get the paperback of Weis and Hickman's "Dragons of the Highlord Skies", but I'm inclined to wait until the third in that trilogy is done so that I can go back and read them all with the original Dragonlance trilogy in chronological order.

Terry Brooks' newest book is still only in hardcover and I'm not quite gung-ho enough to get it before the paperback comes out.

I'm giving Robert Jordan another glance right now. A few years ago I started reading "Eye Of The World", the first in his mega-long series. I stopped before the end of chapter 2 because there seemed to be more names of places, people and organizations than I have the memory to keep track of. However, in the absence of other fantasy, I'm thinking of giving it another try if I can find a used copy for sale. (I've also read that despite the author's death, the final book will be finished and released in 2009 by someone else, using Jordan's extensive notes.)

So I'm putting out the call right now for a review on this book. I know there are plenty of reviews online, but if you're reading this you either know me or at least a little something about my tastes from reading this blog now and then, so I'll give your opinion more weight. I don't mind lots of detail, but will the characters be in enough danger to keep the book interesting, or is it all mainly political intrigue? (Barfff!)

While you're at it, can you recommend any fantasy I might like?

I've already read: All of Terry Brooks, all of Terry Goodkind, all of Moorcock's Elric books, All of Harry Potter, all of Weis and Hickman's Dragonlance stuff (their solo efforts have mostly fallen short for me, except for the Amber series by Weis) and Peirs Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series.

Anyhoo, thanks for your input!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You read all the Harry Potter books? Wow, I didn't think they were you're cup of tea. I'm amazed that you have the patience and endurance for those long epic fantasy series. I haven't been up for those in a while, it's why anthologies have been so appealing to me these days. Sorry to say, I haven't read Wheel of Time (but I knew a group of Star Wars fans, most of them liked Robert Jordan's series). I don't know if you're aware that Robert Jordan passed away recently; before he could complete the 12th and final book of WoT.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kris!
Good to hear from you! Yeah, I knew that Jordan passed away. In fact I mentioned in the article above this that another author has been selected to complete the last book using Jordan's extensive notes. That's the only reason I'd even THINK of touching such a huge and lengthy series.
The jury's still out, but maybe I'll just go to a bookstore and read the first few chapter to test it out.
See ya!

Anonymous said...

I've read eight books in the Wheel of Time series and my advice would be not to bother. Yes, the first book is great and the second one is reasonably interesting, but to say 'the plot rambles' is an almost criminal understatement. To wit - it took *six books* before two of the characters decided that they liked each other and four other other were still battling out some kind of strange love-rectangle when I gave up the books.

'Soon I Will Be Invincible' by Austin Grossman is excellent - I think I've mentioned it before. The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett are more humorous than funny. I'll see what else I can dig up and recommend.

Anonymous said...

Hey Danielle,
Thanks for the input. I'll hold of on Robert Jordan for now.
You recommendations sound good, although right now I'm itching for something darker in the fantasy realm.
If you have any recommendations, I'd be VERY interested!
Thanks!