THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, February 22, 2008

The Flash On Notice



I still love this picture. But I can't say the same of Mark Waid's current run on The Flash.

I LOVED the idea of Wally being a married man and a dad and balancing that with being the Flash. But Waid has made the book a "superhero team" book starring the Flash and his two kids.

I'm not interested in seeing his kids learning to fight crime and have their own costumes. And the fact that the two kids might be dying because of their powers made a weak reason for their dad to be okay with them running around fighting crime. It's just not working for me. And I'm sure it's going to be the final straw for many comic fans who think a book about a "family man" superhero can't work. It CAN. But it's not working here.

I never thought Mark Waid could do wrong after his awesome re-defining of the character in the 90's, but I'm afraid to say that he needs to either find a new approach quick, or get off the book. Until then, I'll be flipping through each issue before buying. Any issue with one of his kids in a costume (unless they are dying) get's put back on the shelf. I'll get the rest of my Flash fix in JLA and Titans.

No comments: