THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Why not "Alwayssummer Nights"?



I'm giving Neverwinter Nights another try. I bought the "Diamond Edition" of the game more than a year ago in search of an RPG, since the PS2 had none at the time worth playing.

This was my first attempt at a very "PC" RPG. By that I mean an RPG that uses alot of mouse and keyboard, instead of the the controller I'm so used to.

I'm not as much of a PC gamer partially because I like to be able to lounge and lean back while I play, and you can't really do that with a mouse and keyboard game.

This game is VERY complex and basically represents the D&D experience on a computer. Sometimes cool, but sometimes not. I've played close to 10 hours as a magic user, but that was over the course of 6-9 months.(Obviously my interested faded in and out.) Magic use in this game takes more thinking and strategy than I'm interested in. Besides, I've got a magic user on Diablo 2 that I'm still playing.

So although it goes against my tendency, I'm going to try and play Neverwinter Nights again from the beginning, but this time with a fighter or barbarian type. Hopefully the simplicity of the character class will streamline the experience for me. The game itself is wonderfully complex enough that on my first time through, I'm hoping my character can feel a little simpler. We'll see!

Anyone have any thoughts, strategies or advice about this game?

No comments: