THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Finally Did It!



I finally went through with it and bought an X-Box 360. For some people, this isn't a major purchase and doesn't represent a lot of money. For me, it does. The last time I bought a game system was the original playstation. My PS2 was a wedding gift. $350 plus tax is a LOT of money in my book. But after careful spending of my fun money and a good amount of help from a friend's gift card and a tax return, I took the plunge this weekend.

What finally did it? Well, the timing was simply because of Neverwinter Nights. A game I dearly love, but the modules I'd been downloading were making my mouse freeze repeatedly and I didn't have any other RPG options. I'd had the money saved and knew it was only a matter of time, so it looked like this was the time. Ironically, after doing research, re-installing and several other potential fixes, NWN seems to be running without mouse freezes only AFTER I bought 360. Oh well. I love having options and as I said, it was only a matter of time 'till I got a 360.

So why the 360 and not the Wii or PS3? Simple. They've got the most RPGs released, and the most planned for the future. Nintendo lost me after Super NES for the same reason Playstation is losing me now. I'm not cutting edge enough to need a Blu-ray player for awhile yet. I just want to play the games I like. Sure, I know about the Red Ring Of Death, but Microsoft has extended the warranty, I'm doing all I can to keep it cool and I'm not a hardcore/marathon gamer. And in the end, if it dies and I can't play games, I'll be in the same place as if I'd bought a PS3 or Wii: Unable to play a lot of good RPGs. (At least I'll have good memories.)

Of course, I haven't even tapped into the potential of this thing yet. My "Frandsen cheap gene" won't allow me to get "Oblivion" or "Mass Effect" yet, so for now I'm digging the original X-Box game, "Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic", created by the makers of Neverwinter Nights! So I've come full circle and all things considered, life is pretty good.

No comments: