THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, June 13, 2008

What D&D Should Be (For Me)

The new edition of Dungeons and Dragons came out last weekend, causing a predictable uproar among fans of previous versions. I've not been able to read the rulebooks myself, although I'm very curious.


In both positive and negative reviews, the new rules have been compared to online games like World Of Warcraft. Gameplay has become simplified in an effort to appeal to new players and help the game move faster. (There's also confirmation of a suspicious sounding "monthly subscription" service to get new content for the game online.)


To me, a faster, simpler game of D&D sounds very cool. I've been running a DC Heroes game on and off for more than 10 years. I like the Mayfair rules system because most of the time you aren't slowed down by them. I'm also not a fan of using miniatures in my RPGs, but the last two editions of D&D seem to assume or even require use of miniatures. When I attended a demo of the game at a convention last year, I asked the gamemaster if you could play the game without miniatures. He gave me a funny look and uncomfortably said something like, "No. You're really supposed to play with minatures."


I love the art in the D&D rulebooks and supplements. They recruit some great talent to produce those, and the art helps create the world you and your players hunt for treasure and adventure in. But the detailed and cumbersome rules of D&D have always been a turn-off. So for me, I'd enjoy a rules-lite, non-miniatures version of the game with all the great art and concepts we've come to expect from D&D.


But, that's for me. I know die-hards don't want to change and I can't fault them for that. I've got my areas in which I'm a "purist" as well. But what would be REASONABLE to expect is a version of the rule books that include notations of "Advanced" or "Core" rules, allowing GMs and player groups to decide together how complicated they want their rules to be. GURPS, 3rd edition has advanced rules in grey boxes off to the side, and something like that in a D&D rulebook would be nice.


Given this probably won't happen, can anyone recommend a fantasy rules system with great, full-color art and a rules system that accounts for most situations but isn't so real that you're "roll" playing instead of "role" playing?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No comments: