THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sanctuary Pilot, the quick and dirty



I finally got around to watching the pilot for "Sanctuary", a new sci-fi channel series. Okay, I guess I only watched the first hour. That's why I really can't do a full blown review. I just lost interest. Once again, we have another sci-fi tv show where concept rules character.

An overdone attempt at giving our male lead a quirky personality introduces him to the audience in a contrived and forced manner. Soon after, his personality blends into the background, despite being the focal character.

Amanda Tapping has dyed her hair and taken on an actor's british accent. While this move helps separate her from her Stargate character, the script doesn't give her much personality to play with. (Or maybe that's the director's fault.)

Camera angles present nothing new and the whole affair feels dry and static, despite a few interesting creatures.

But let's face it, we've now been exposed to both Farscape and Battlestar Galactica. The bar has been raised and my personal tastes and busy schedule demand shows with characters worth investing time in. While this show may potentially deliver that (anything is possible, right?), they didn't convince me during the pilot that I should stick around for more.

No comments: