THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Batman RIP-off



Batman #681 came out today, concluding the much-hyped, overly-cross-overed storyline that ran through all the bat titles and some of "the outsiders".

A few weeks ago I sold the other bat-books related to this series. I feel like DC really shouldn't have marketed all the bat-books as being part of RIP. The main storyline was all in "Batman" and spending money on the others was a waste. (Except for "Outsiders", which I get anyway.)

This whole ride has been pretty convoluted and incoherant for me and in the end I'm still left going "huh?" at a few things. Overall, I have to say that I could have done without this story. Unless something happens in the next issue, I have no reason to think this has been a redefining moment for Batman. And the fact that they are starting a new story arc called "Last Rites" just feels like they're trying to milk an expired cow.

About a year ago it felt like the best time in the world to be a DC fan. But with the lackluster Countdown series, a less than fantastic "Infinite Crisis", Flash sucking over-all, Pa Kent getting killed, JLA focusing on third string heroes... it seems like a pretty mixed bag right now. JSA, Green Lantern, Secret Six and a couple other books remain strong, but I'm hoping things will look better for all of these great characters after Infinite Crisis is over and the new year gets underway.

No comments: