THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, December 1, 2008

The Christmas Tree Massacre



Last year, I didn't get my tree to the appointed deposit location in time to be disposed of properly. Instead, I spent some time on and off on weekends, almost through February, sawing our dead tree into smaller bits to be thrown out in our green "lawn and garden" trash bin.

That was a real pain in the butt. I vowed that I would never make that mistake again.

So I made a brand new one instead, which has also resulted in a vow. From now on, I will always let the guys at the "tree purchasing place" cut a little off the bottom of the trunk. We've only been getting real trees for a few years and usually they just do that automatically. It has something to do with allowing water to get into the tree and keeping it alive longer. Whatever it does, I'm told its important. But I didn't know that until after we got home yesterday after I foolishly declined having the bottom cut.

So I took two hammers, two saws and a flathead screwdriver into the back yard, where I mercilessly beat and hacked at the bottom of this tree until I was able to re-expose the bottom. A very merry 30 minute ordeal that never should have happened. And it never will again... (grrr.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard I think I actually snorted! I am sorry for your ordeals, but man, it makes for good blogging!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to much effort...my preferred method (which I did to my dad's one year) is light it with a match!!! It went up so fast I didn't have a chance to get the hose out!

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute Shane,
Is that for disposing of the tree or re-exposing the bottom?
Either way, didn't you have the fire department come after you??!
You crazy pyro!

(Sigh.) I wanna be like you when I grow up...

Anonymous said...

no fire department it went up so fast no one saw, thankfully!