THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, November 7, 2008

The Secret Six and Misleading Covers



Three issues in and I'm really enjoying "The Secret Six" by Gail Simone. Her writing is very witty and the dialogue is vivid. As she takes these 2nd and 3rd string DC villains and tells her story, I believe she's giving Geoff Johns a run for his money in the category of "re-inventing and rejuvinating" old characters. Wonderful stuff.

The interior art is also incredible and of such high quality that I have to wonder why the cover art has been so bland and lacking in detail. The covers to this book completely misrepresent the reading experience and as the last two issues have come out on stands, I've had to open them up and remind myself that this book is really good!

Usually, it's the other way around. Awesome cover, sloppy interior, so I'm totally confused. If they are trying to hit a certain stylistic beat with these covers, I'm not quite getting it. And either way, it gives you a completely different feel from the book itself.

Here's hoping they make a change very quickly, or this will be yet another book that I find I love, only to watch it be cancelled for lack of popularity.

No comments: