THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, March 13, 2009

Highlander: The Source... Still Not Bad!



About a year and a half ago I reviewed "Highlander: The Source" on this blog and got some pretty strong reactions. (I liked the film and fans almost universally hated it.) I finally picked up a used copy of the DVD yesterday and watched it again for the first time since my review.

I've gotta say that I still feel pretty much the same about it. I might lower the quality score from 8.5 to 8, or POSSIBLY 7.5 since the rest of the trilogy has been abandoned, but otherwise I feel the same about it. If I did lower the score it would be because the sword fights weren't that great, there was only one quickening in the whole movie, and the ending was weak. If the rest of this planned trilogy were being made, these issues wouldn't be quite as problematic, but since the trilogy has been abandoned in favor of a reboot of the franchise, The Source, with it's abrupt, anti-climactic ending, is a pretty weak way to end the original franchise.

But hey, if you don't like this flick, just pretend it never happened! After all, that's been the philosophy for the continuity of this franchise since Highlander 2, and it's only gotten more confusing since then!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They made a Highlander 2?

Anonymous said...

Maybe. Or maybe we all just dreamed that they did. I'm still not really sure...

Anonymous said...

Yeah . . . and somehow I really did enjoy The Source. I bought the dvd, I even own the soundtrack . . . I think the Guardian is what makes the movie work for me.

I don't know . . . my head tells me it's a bad movie, but my heart tells me otherwise. Jer. 17:9

It's nice to know someone else enjoyed The Source.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought I was alone on this one! Great to have some company!