THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Comics Price Change


This month, Teen Titans went from $2.99 to $3.99 and my understanding is that other books will follow. And if Teen Titans is any indicator, books that normally have 22 pages (the DC standard) in the main story will now only have 20 while a 10 page backup story (which Didio is trying to market as a "second feature") is being added to the end.
As usual, Dan Didio is trying to convince us all that something that obviously sucks does not suck.
Yes, I know, it's just two pages. And the "Ravager" back-up might be a good story, in which case I'll be pleasantly surprised. But I know that won't always be the case and it just rubs me the wrong way that in addition to a price hike I'm getting two fewer pages of what I'm buying the comic for. The extra 8 pages of "total story" is kinda like playing the lottery, in my opinion. And I don't play the lottery.
I can understand that inflation and economic woes cause things like this to happen. And I'm sure writers will work hard to cram just a little more dialogue per page to compensate. But the loss of two pages still feels like rubbing salt in the wound. What would be so wrong with an 8-page story tacked on the back?

3 comments:

Alan said...

I stopped buying regular issues years ago, partly for cost reasons.

My library (summer of Free!) buys most of the trade PB collections when they come out ... it means I'm never caught up, but I never feel ripped off, either. -- Alan

Anonymous said...

My hat's off to ya. I don't think I could do just TPBs. At least not w/ DC. I am only buying Ultimate Marvel books as TPBs now, though.

Alan said...

And I remember that you are a buyer/collector, while I am more of just a reader. -- Alan