THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Summer Of FREE!


This week I realized that I've developed some bad spending habits when it comes to my "fun money" and have decided to significantly cut back on entertainment spending so I can effectively save up for some fun things coming in the fall.


To serve this goal, I am declaring this "The Summer Of Free"! Now, that doesn't mean I will only do things that are free. I still need my comic fix every week and there are a few movies remaining I really want to see. But I'm dropping a few comics (nothing super cool) and waiting for a few movies to rent(RedBox Only!) instead of see in theaters. (Sorry, "Lost World"!)


In addition, I'm looking to fill my time with stuff that doesn't cost me anything. I'm hoping this quest will also result in me finding some cool, free entertainment options that I can share with you (or that you might share with me!) so we can all be a part of the "Summer Of Free" together!


In case you're curious, I've included some notes I made for myself to fight off purchase temptation. Stuff I can do instead of spending money. Books, games or shows I have but haven't finished yet, along with some online options I know are out there but haven't fully explored yet. So if any of you catch me in line at Gamestop, feel free to remind me of the following:



Things you already have that you can do:

Diablo 2

KOTOR 2

X-men Legends 2

Neverwinter Nights ("Soul Shaker" if you want a "non-NWN" experience)

Read James Clemens books 3-5

Read Sonar and Wonder Woman back issues

Watch Supernatural seasons 2-3

Transfer Apologetics/Theological notes to wide margin Bible

Read ahead in Geisler's Systematic Theology volumes 2-4

Look for art images/links for homebrew fantasy RPG (Might find something to buy/license for the "Pilgrim" cover while you're at it!)

Print out Eldritch RPG Monster expansion and design some monsters



Things that are free online:

AdventureQuest!

Look for free RPGs online

Free games at g4tv.com?

Discover new/old shows/movies at hulu and similar websites

4 comments:

Alan said...

library > bookstore

-- Alan

Anonymous said...

Oooh! VERY true. At least when they have what I'm looking for.

Whew! That's hard though. The geeky collector in me says, "must...have... for my BOOKSHELF!"

Hopefully the unread books I currently have will last me through the summer...

Nathan J. Norman said...

I'm a little back-logged with the blog/podcast but here's my suggestions for "The Summer of Free":

Chad Vader (The online series of Darth Vader's less charismatic brother, Chad, and his struggles as a day-shift manager) http://www.blamesociety.net/chadvader/index.php

Homestar Runner Hours upon hours of original and frequently updated cartoons . . . for those with quirky senses of humor
http://www.homestarrunner.com/

Wowio Free books and comics online! There's some pretty terrible stuff, but in the comics section I recommend the following:

-Of Bitter Souls (Dark Christian superheroes)
-Lexian Chronicles
-The Imaginaries
-Pakkins' Land
-Shadowmancer (Unfinished story!)
-Smoke and Mirror
http://www.wowio.com

DC vs. Marvel An action figure parody series pitting DC characters against Marvel heroes.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ItsJustSomeRandomGuy&view=videos

UR Comics A free collection of online Christian comics. Including Archangels, Archangels: The Fall, and ArmorQuest.
http://www.urcomic.com

Nathan James Norman My own personal website. It includes a free comic blog, as well as an ongoing fantasy web-series of short stories called THE SHADE. (The first season is already completed.)
http://www.nathanjamesnorman.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Nathan! Thanks!