THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Preparing My "Eldritch" Powers!


Tomorrow night will be the first full game session with the new fantasy RPG system I've been learning. Eldritch RPG is a "paper and pencil" fantasy RPG for people like me who are not interested in heavy, detailed "simulation" style paper and pencil rpgs. The combat system resolves quickly and the rules structure is "abstract" rather than an attempted simulation of reality, like Dungeons and Dragons or most other PnP RPGs.
Although I still had to brush up on the rules a bit today, I'm hoping to spend most of my time creating atmosphere as I gamemaster. Trouble is, sometimes I get so excited while playing that I rush through battle descriptions and other atmospheric elements too quickly.
Here's hoping I can bring to mind lots of fun dark-fantasy details like the spraying of orc-blood, the clanking of armor, the brilliance of magic and the horror of monsters.
Hmm... Where or where can I go for some quick inspiration...
Looks like it's time for more "Dragon Age: Origins"!

No comments: