THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Final Fantasy Home Stretch!













Well March 9th is just around the corner and that only leaves me 7 days to finish my second run through Final Fantasy 12 if I want to start playing 13 right away.

I'm actually not sure if I can make it or not. Last time I finished the game in just over 70 hours and I'm currently at around 60. But this time through I'm doing as many of the "hunts" as I can and trying to get all of the Espers as well. Not to mention that I spent almost an hour last night running errands for "Dantro's Wife". Good grief!

I. Hate. Fetch Quests.

I'm also not a fan of some of the game design philosophy for secrets and side quests in this game. For example, one "hunt" creature only appears if you stand in the middle of a room with all of your gambits turned off for FIVE MINUTES and then you walk into the corner of the room. The most powerful weapon in the game can only be found by NOT opening several treasure chests. How is ANYONE supposed to figure this kind of stuff out on their own! These are not the kinds of secrets designed to reward clever, investigative players. These kinds of secrets are designed to reward people who shell out bucks for strategy guides. Lame.

Even so, I'm exploring areas now that I never even saw in my first play through, so on the whole I'm having a great time! Maybe it won't be so bad if I don't finish "right on time" for Final Fantasy 13.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Haha! Reminds me of my BF's own mad rush to complete the game before the release of 13. I'm planning on starting 12 tonight for the first time, hopefully I can get into it despite the complaints people seem to have.

Anonymous said...

I just finished it a few nights ago (although I'm going back now and finishing some side quests as I wait for the Dragon Age expansion).

After a second time through, I can say that there are so many things right with Final Fantasy 12, especially in the combat system, which I especially enjoy after having played several great Bioware RPGs. (The flow of combat is similar.)

Despite a foggy, political, plot driven story and a lack of focus on character motivation, I enjoyed everything outside of the plot despite the weakness in that part of the game.

This is usually NOT the case with me, which I think shows how much I enjoyed the other gameplay elements.

Have fun! I'd love to hear what you think after you've gotten into it some!

-Paeter