THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Today, Candy Land...Tomorrow, Dungeons and Dragons!













Our older boy is finally old enough to play his first board game! I sensed this might be the case recently and suggested to my wife that we go pick up that classic game of fantasy questing... Candy Land!

True, the "campaign setting" is a bit light for my tastes. Black Licorice is the biggest hazard. (Although let's be honest. That crap is nasty.) And success or failure is based solely on the whim of the deck. But it's a start. And our son is crazy about it.

A few weeks ago in Knights Of The Dinner Table I read a strip involving some "modifications" to the game using combat equipment and other adventuring necessities, but I'm in no hurry to implement them yet. I'm happy to give our son a few more weeks of the pure experience before "spicing things up"...

Oh, and his OTHER new favorite game? Rolling my collection of RPG dice and naming the numbers that come up! (He's surprisingly good with the 20 sider, so maybe we'll move onto percentiles next!)

No comments: