THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, June 6, 2011

My First Beer













Last weekend I tried about a cup of beer (as in, a measuring cup) for the first time. I'm told it was good beer, though admittedly "strong". To me, at best, it tasted like carbonated cardboard and nearly triggered my gag reflex on the last swallow. I thought champagne was bad.

Like coffee, I honestly can't understand why anyone drinks stuff with alcohol in it. My exposure is limited, I'll admit, but anything with even a hint of alcohol detectable in the taste is ruined for me.

Maybe I'm naive, but it seems to me the benefits of coffee drinks can all be gained by popping no-doze and the benefits of alcohol can be gained by popping Benedryl or getting self-help books and/or a healthy perspective on yourself. (The latter being for those who use alcohol to lose inhibitions or "escape".) I can't see a single reason to put myself through the taste of either of these crap-tastical tongue-killers.

2 comments:

kevbayer said...

I'm with you on that. I don't drink alcoholic beverages because I don't like the taste - that alcoholic taste (and the vinegary taste in wine) just doesn't do it for me. I will drink the occasional mixed drink if you can't taste the alcohol (maybe once a year or so) - Like an amaretto sour or this margarita from O'charleys that tastes like Hawaiin Punch.

John Wilkerson said...

Hehehe...being raised in Germany I tasted my first beer as a toddler. I still like to have 1 or 2 a year now.