THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My PC Is Lame










A couple of weeks ago I got a new laptop to replace one that died. I bought my PC about 8 or 9 years ago and it's really showing its age sitting next to my new laptop. It's actually been really good to me, but over the years has just gotten slower and slower.

I keep up with anti-virus software, registry cleaning, and de-frag (mostly), but it seems to recover a little less every time.

I imagine I can still squeeze a couple more years out of it, but it's clear the time has come yet again, especially before I start recording or mixing for another project, to figure out every trick I possibly can to get it running faster.

So if anyone has any suggestions on things I can do to get my PC running better, outside what I've already mentioned, I'd love to hear them! (And FREE options are what I'm mostly aiming for.)

2 comments:

kevbayer said...

Post your PC stats (Processor, ram, etc). That'll give us a better idea of what to tell you to do.

Sometimes, especially on a really really old PC, if you haven't done so in awhile, reformatting the HD and reinstalling your OS can rejuvinate it a bit. Adding RAM to an older machine can pep it up a bit too.

I tend to keep computers until they are down right ancient! The PC my kids use is a single-core 2.5 Celeron and the HTPC I'm building now is a single-core AMD 2gHz processor. Both were built from spare parts, hand-me-downs, and used equipment I bought from eBay or a local computer recycling business.

Good luck!

Paeter Frandsen said...

Intel Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
2.59GHz, 512 MB of RAM
Running Windows XP

Reformatting is an option on the table, though it's low on the list. Did have some luck with a few other things so far. But if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them!
Thanks!