THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Timeless TV















Recently I've taken an interest in watching the old "Incredible Hulk" tv show that I watched as a kid. In those days I LOVED the Hulk. I would stomp around the house in slow motion, growling as I released the beast within. The Hulk scenes were the best part of the show.

But I remember once in college when they played an Incredible Hulk marathon on the sci-fi channel. I sat to watch just a little bit and was soon sucked in to a two-part episode. By the end, I was in tears as a heart-wrenching tragedy unfolded. This show had more to it than I remembered!

Now as I've purchased the first season on DVD from amazon and watch it on Hulu as I wait for my package to arrive, I see again and again that this is not some simple action sci-fi show. It has a tremendous amount of drama as well. In fact, I might even call it PRIMARILY a drama, and a good one!

Bill Bixby as the gentle but haunted David Banner gives us a beaten-down hero to root for, and the pain he experiences, though presented in 1970's packaging, is timeless and felt far more by me as an adult viewer than I ever had the chance of feeling as a kid. The authenticity of his performance was virtually unique in this era of television, far ahead of its time. In fact the show works so well for me and lacks almost all the "cheese" of 80's action shows, that at times I can almost imagine it was produced yesterday, but as a 70's/80's "period piece".

The Hulk scenes are okay. They don't age as well, but still serve a greatly needed function in emphasizing Dr. Banner's plight. And Lou Ferrigno is HUGE!

I'm still digging "Chuck" as I catch up on Blu-ray, but I'm amazed at how often I've opted for "The Incredible Hulk" instead!

1 comment:

Winston Crutchfield said...

Great minds? Just last week, I pulled Incredible Hulk from my shelf and have started watching the series again. My 8 year old son doesn't seem interested, but my 10 year old daughter loves watching the show with me. It really is good TV.