THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Hope For A Good 360 RPG?



Although the PS3 is a barren wasteland when it comes to RPGs, the XBOX 360 has, so far, churned out nothing but a lot of mediocrity. Lost Odyssey is the best RPG for my tastes so far (hate the constant directional reminders of Fable 2 and Fallout 3 is too much FPS, not enough RPG) and it has some wonky balance issues in the last 3rd of the game that killed all the joy inside of it.

I've been sticking to Neverwinter Nights on my PC (should be called NeverENDING Nights with all the great user made quests online!) and some KOTOR and KOTOR2 on my 360. Although the PC reviews have been mixed, I'm hoping that "Sacred 2" (releasing in May) will be the RPG experience I've been waiting for on the 360.

It's an action RPG, so it won't scratch the turn-based itch I sometimes get, but that's fine by me. I'll just be happy to enjoy an RPG, from beginning to end, that was made for the 360. I bought my console over a year ago. And though I've certainly made use of it, it hasn't yet payed back the investment in "fun".

Unless the reviews for Sacred 2 look considerably sketchy, I'll probably make the purchase, since I don't see any other 360 RPGs on the horizon until "Dragon Age: Origins" in November.

Anyone have thoughts on a 360 RPG (or original XBOX RPG for that matter) that I should try?

No comments: