THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Thursday, April 30, 2009

New Author For Me?


For my tastes in fantasy fiction, I like a serious story that is often dark and/or violent, but not just a descriptive action-fest, like I typically get from R.A. Salvatore. To hold my interest, the story needs to bring me often into the minds and feelings of the characters, giving me a reason to invest in their experience. And books that are part of a series are always preferred. Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind and to some degree Margaret Weis, combine these elements well.
I'm currently looking for a new author to read, since I've run out of books by my main authors. I took a list to the bookstore with me, but ended up finally leaving with a book by James Clemens, an author not on my list that I'd never heard of. Wit'ch Fire is the first in a series, and although the first chapter is a little confusing, clarity begins to form in the chapters that follow it. I'm only on chapter three right now. So far, it's fitting the bill for my tastes, but only time will tell...

No comments: