THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, May 15, 2009

Phantasm



I've felt a little bit in the mood for horror flicks lately and so I finally got around to seeing Phantasm 1 and 2 this week.

My parents very wisely kept me away from films like this in my youth, so I had never seen these horror classics before.

Watched one online and the other on TV this week. I'm really glad I didn't have to pay for them. The acting was terrible, especially in the first one.

That said, both movies did something that works for me in the horror genre. They created an alternate reality that you think there are probably rules for, but they don't tell you what those rules are. Is it sci-fi? Is it supernatural? What the crap was that?!

It's those kind of eerie, random and disturbing visuals that make a film in this genre click for me.

Haven't seen the other one or two Phantasm movies that are out there, but if I stumble on them for free, I'm thinking I'll be curious enough to watch.

No comments: