THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fallout 3 For A Lousy FPS player






















I've been giving Fallout 3 another shot this week, and so far it's going pretty good!

The first time I exchanged gunfire I got toasted pretty quick. In fact, it happened so fast that I almost quit right then and there. But after taking a few deep breaths, I came back to the same fight again and used VATS a little more often. APs recharge more quickly than I remember from the last time I tried this game.

So far, some key elements of my strategy that have helped to offset my insanely terrible FPS skills include:

1. Being a pack rat and picking up everything worth at least twice its own weight. Then fast traveling to Megaton to sell as much as I can. I make multiple trips just for this if I have to. Finances are a major part of my survival, because they directly impact my ability to enact two other parts of my strategy.

2. Buy as many stimpacks and AP recharging aids as I can. Then hot-keying stimpacks for use in battle.

3. Buying the best armor and plenty of ammo(I'm a lousy shot, so I use a lot), as well as keeping my equipment in the best repair possible.

4. Charging enemies that are firing at me and standing or walking backward for melee enemies charging me. With stimpacks stabbing away, I find it much easier to take down the baddies when they cover more space on the screen.

5. Save, save save! Save after every fight. Save after just walking for a bit. They design saving to be quick and possible at almost any time. And though I've only died once so far, it's a safety net that makes the rest of my experience much less stressful.


Unless I come upon some major frustration in the next few nights, I plan on keeping the game this time. With a little adjustment to my expectations, I think this is an action RPG that even a lousy FPS player like me can really enjoy.

No comments: