THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Giving "Fallout 3" another chance
























After a couple of years, I've decided to give "Fallout 3" another shot. The last time I tried it, I gave up because it felt too much like a first person shooter and I got frustrated when I was wiped out in a gun fight.

I suck at shooters, especially in the first person. I don't know how people successfully line up their cross hairs on moving targets and shoot while also moving to avoid enemy fire. I just don't have the thumbs for it. (And my computer can't run the PC version, which I think would handle easier in the FPS parts using a mouse.)

But in the last couple of years I've been stretched a bit as a gamer. Neverwinter Nights prepared me for the pause-able yet real-time combat I would play in Dragon Age: Origins. Dragon Age: Origins prepared me for the open ended, non-linear RPG experience I would need to be ready for in Oblivion. And I'm hoping that Oblivion has prepared me better now for the first person combat of Fallout 3. Each game in this progression has stretched me a bit, and I know that I'm missing some fantastic gaming in Fallout 3.

My hope is that I'll be able to hotkey a ton of stimpacks (health potions) to use in combat to help compensate for my lousy skills. I'm also going to go in with an expectation of dying more often than I usually do in RPGs, saving a lot along the way. With luck, my adjusted expectations and other compensations will result in adding a great new game to my library.

If not, oh well. I've got more "Oblivion" to explore, and I've already pre-ordered my copy of Dragon Age 2, coming out in early March!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you'll be trying Fallout 3 again. Let me know if you need help with anything. I'm probably a little more than halfway through the game's storyline - but there is tons of side quests and locations to explore.

By the way, I bought Oblivion and it's on my list of games to try out in the coming months. Right now I'm giving Fable 2 a try. So far, so good. :)

Happy gaming!

Paeter Frandsen said...

Thanks, David! I think you might really dig on Oblivion. I STILL am!

Fable 2 is a great game too! It's on my list of "games to come back to" once I'm in the mood for a lighter themed action rpg.

Enjoy!

Unknown said...

That's actually the reason I'm playing Fable 2 right now with Fallout 3 on the backburner. I needed a 'lighter themed' RPG to keep me busy for a while. Fallout 3 can get a bit...what's the right word...heavy...for me after a while.