THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Monday, June 23, 2008

In Search Of Game

Unsure if I really wanted to play a game so similar to Neverwinter Nights, I returned "Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic" and picked up "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion".
Cool game. VERY in depth and a huge world. Not alot of characters that draw you in, though. At least not during the first three hours. And given the slower pace of the game, I knew that combo wouldn't work well for me right now. So I took that back and pickled up "Mass Effect".
Another game from BioWare (creators of Neverwinter Nights) but using a very different system. Although the game lets you pause to set up your shots and make decisions, and despite a very interesting story, cool characters and awesome graphics, this action-rpg felt heavy on the "action" during combat and light on the "rpg".
My hand-eye coordination SSSSSUCKS! So I lean toward turn-based RPGs or action-rpgs that are a little more hack-'n-slash, allowing me to build levels and compensate for my pathetic lack of skills.
So today I'm taking my lunch "to go" and returning Mass Effect so I can get "Lost Odyssey". This game hasn't gotten universally great reviews, but after some research, I'm pretty sure I can get through the brief negative points that occur in the game, and will enjoy the classic turn-based glory of this Japanese RPG.
If not, looks like I'll be nabbing back that Star Wars game and waiting for the next few 360 RPGs to come out!

No comments: