THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Seeker" is getting Weaker!



I'm frustrated to report that the new tv series "Legend Of The Seeker" has fallen vastly short of the potential displayed in the first two episodes. The 3rd and 4th episodes went almost entirely away from the source material, presenting one-shot stories that do not advance the over-all plot. They didn't do much to develop character either.

Speaking of character, Richard seems to be way off his game. If memory serves, he never made the kind of foolish choices in the books that he's making in the series. I'm talking specifically about returning to his home town without consulting Zedd.

In general, Richard feels too bright eyed and naive. In the books, Richard is a man's man, not some angsty, self-doubting, wet behind the ears hobbit!

Episode 4 in particular demonstrated some of the most predictable, substanceless writing that television is capable of. Can anyone say they really thought that lady was his mom? As soon as she said she held him the day he was born, I said "mid-wife" and waited an hour for the script to catch up.

If Terry Goodkind is truly involved in the writing chores, I'm sad to say that he should stick to books. If not, the show might benefit from what he has to offer. Either way, something has got to change. These episodes do not reflect the tone or character of "Wizard's First Rule", and I can't blame anyone for not sticking with the show at this point. Unfortunately, I am a huge Goodkind fan and so am hopelessly condemned to watch this show, even if things continue to get worse. Here's hoping I will be spared that torture.

2 comments:

Alan said...

I am less disappointed than you, Paeter, probably because we had different expectations. This series was never described as an "adaptation" of the book, like the BBC or PBS do when they do a mini-series of a literary classic.

This was described as an episodic TV series "based on" the book, which is not the same. Books and TV series are different media, so I was not expecting a carbon copy. The book does not divide iteself into 22, equal, 45-minute segments, but a TV series requires that. So I accept some changes.

Now, some of the departures from the book have been irritating, mostly with Kahlan's character, and episode 3 was not good. And they definitely need to hit some key plot points this season to satisfy me (SPOILERS: Denna, Shota, and Orden), but I am willing to give them some more episodes to make that happen.

-- Alan

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you're saying, Alan. I'm not as concerned about diversions from the plot as I am about diversions from character, which has been the biggest problem for me. As a fan of the books, I want the characters to be closer to the unique characters of the books. As a fan of good, character driven television (BSG, Farscape) I want to see things happening that matter when the episode is over. Episodes 3 and 4 contained very little that will effect potential change in either the characters or the over all story.
But I also am willing to give them a chance to do this more.