THE NEW HOME FOR "PAETER'S BRAIN"!

Paeter is no longer posting to this blog. His new reviews and thoughts on geek entertainment (including all those previously posted here!) can now be found conveniently organized and archived at The Spirit Blade Underground!

Friday, November 14, 2008

Unimpressed with 360 RPG choices




I bought the 360 over the Wii and PS3 because it was demonstrating the brightest and broadest future for RPGs. So far, I'm unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, the Wii and PS3 have even less to offer, but for an RPG fan like myself, I'm still waiting for that great 360 RPG.
Lost Odyssey was pretty good, but a bug with a boss battle late in the game forced me to rely on pure luck or overbalanced "power-leveling" to get past him. I don't have time or patience for either of those, so I gave up on it. (I must not have been THAT invested in the game, huh?)
Fallout 3 is way too much FPS and not enough RPG. I suck at FP shooters, so that one was a "no go" as well.
Lastly, Fable 2. A charming little game that just didn't pull me in at the beginning when it should have. (And for a game that makes a big deal out of having choices, the "glowing trail" that always tells you where to go is an odd device to include.)
So for now, I'm actually playing "Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic". A game for the original Xbox.
I'm hoping that "The Last Remnant" will get great reviews when it releases this month, and provides an RPG experience I can really dive into and enjoy from beginning to end. But I've got my doubts. So far, this generation of consoles seems to be providing the weakest offerings to RPG fans. But then again, I'm not all RPG fans. Anyone else have a thought on RPGs in the current gen of console gaming?

No comments: